Have you serviced your heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system for the winter period? Whether you are a homeowner or a property manager, you will need to find a reliable HVAC professional to help you service your HVAC system. A well maintained and serviced HVAC system is highly efficient in both its functionality and energy consumption.
Most heating demands in many homes and commercial buildings account for about 33% of the total energy consumption. Therefore, you should ensure that your HVAC system is working efficiently to significantly reduce your HVAC system energy consumption. Below are some insightful tips on HVAC preventive maintenance.
Fall HVAC Preventive Maintenance Tips
1. Clean or Replace Air Filters-
Dirty HVAC filters restrict airflow and reduce the entire efficiency of the HVAC system. If you have not cleaned or changed the air filters of your system for a while, now is the perfect time to do it. This should be done on a monthly basis.
2. Adjust the Supply Register-
Remember, cold air falls and hot air rises. So when the weather cools, you should open a few of the supply register on the first floor and close a few on the second floor. This will facilitate the heating of your commercial building in a more efficient way.
3. Calibrate the Thermostat-
Correct calibration greatly enhances the efficiency of your heating.
4. Investing in a Programmable Thermostat-
A programmable thermostat enables you to manipulate the cooling and heating of your office building. So you can easily set the thermostat at different temperatures for different times of the day. Use of this type of thermostat reduces the heating cost by 20-75%.
5. Professional HVAC Inspection-
A professional contractor should inspect your HVAC system at least twice a year. The inspection is meant to detect any potential problems and ensure that the HVAC system is working as efficiently as possible. The HVAC inspection involves checking filters, inspecting electrical switches, belts, contacts, motors, safety switches, gas pressure, and refrigerant levels.
6. HVAC Maintenance Agreement–
Fall HVAC maintenance agreement is a great way to keep your system at peak performance. Having an HVAC maintenance agreement not only gives you the advantage of priority service in the event of system failure, but also ensures that your checkups are done on schedule. This agreement will help you save money in the long run
Kind of Winter HVAC Maintenance You Should Do
Even though energy bills are unavoidable during winter periods, below are some ways you can use to save some money:
• Be sure to seal any energy leaks around windows, doors, and other openings
• Ensure that the vents and ducts are clean, and air is circulating freely
• Maintain a regular annual maintenance schedule
• Use curtains to help keep warm air in
• Ensure that your thermostat is working properly
What to Watch for When During the Winter Months
You should always watch out for these signs that could indicate your systems inefficiency even if you have your regular system inspection:
• Higher energy bills than expected
• Inconsistent air-flow from the systems’ ducts
• Dirty air filters that need regular replacement
• Ductwork issues, e.g., peeling tapes
• Significant temperature differences between rooms
Importance of Winter Maintenance Program
Below are some benefits of performing regular maintenance on an HVAC system:
• Ensure safety and comfort of your home.
• The program maintains your warranty
• Efficient functioning of your HVAC system
Having regular maintenance on your HVAC system has numerous benefits for you. You will be able to save a lot of money in the long run due to the improved efficiency in both performance and energy consumption.